Crane Plastics has developed significant expertise in the art and science of inline fabrication. Complex end cuts +/- .030” are routinely done inline, as are texturing, embossing, film lamination, heat staking and a number of other post extrusion operations. However, in some cases it is desirable to move the fabrication process to an out of line work cell. Reasons for this include the following:
- Some parts must be post cured for several hours before cutting to extremely precise lengths.
- In the initial stages of a product the final configurations may not be entirely determined. It may, therefore, be desirable to minimize tooling expenses with less automation until the designs are finalized, or the volumes justify it.
- In kitting operations other extruded or purchased parts may be added to an assembly out of line.
- Some process rates ca not be aligned with extrusion rates, making a post extrusion cell the most economical approach.
stocking lineals and fabricating on a small quantity, just in time
basis, customers can take advantage of the most economical lot sizes,
without incurring excessive inventory levels.
Examples of Fabrication Cell capabilities at Crane Plastics:
- Two double end tennoners capable of +/- .015” length control at high speed, including coping cuts
- CNC routing
- CNC machining
- Weather strip application
- Jamb Liner assembly
- Adhesive joining
- Heat staking
Examples of Fabrication Cell work at Crane Plastics:
- Crane extrudes a complex co-extrusion for the furniture industry. The product is furnished in 12 colors. End user demand for these colors is highly unpredictable. Because the cost of setting up the extrusion tooling is significant, and the customer must be able to offer their customers three day lead time, the Crane Fabrication Cell stocks a small amount of lineal product in each color. When an urgent order comes in and the finished good is not available, the Crane Fabrication Cell makes the required SKU out of lineal product. The customer is saved the set up, and their customer receives the required product quickly.
- Crane extrudes cap stocked foam profiles for the building industry. The parts are furnished entirely fabricated with complex cope cuts on both ends, via our double end tennoning capability.
- Crane extrudes a number of wood composite extrusions for a recreational application. The customer competes by offering a high degree of customization to their market. Crane is able to do that customization on CNC equipment in small volumes with little or no tooling investment.